SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready To Go Back In?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Looks good Rick

I didnt realize you dont have gunnels and that you lifelines are essentially on the coachroof. Your jackline (s) when you put them in if you follow the lifelines actually will almost be centerline to the boat like I was taught.

Most sailboats stachions and lifelines arent configured like yours. I understand your set up now.

Dave
Yeah, now you can see why I was being so resistant to the center jackline. The C250 is a very different boat from the C25. The lack of side decks is nice for interior space, but makes for some challenges going forward.

It's only 30" from the mast to each chainplate. It's so narrow up there that a jackline down the center would be too close to the side. You'd need such a short tether that you could never stand up. I still need to try it out to confirm, but I think it will be much better to decide what side of the boat I need to work on, clip a ~6' tether to the farthest jackline, and a 3' tether to the closest one. That way I can work sitting or on my knees, and I'm kept pretty close to the cabin roof no matter which way I fall.

I also plan to put a short 3' tether on the gooseneck (or maybe beef up my whisker pole padeye with a large steel one) which I'll clip on if I need to stand up at the mast. By clipping on further up, I'll be able to stand with a short enough tether that I can't fall overboard. It will be short enough that I won't even hit the deck, though my ribs would get a good shot from the mast if I fell. So maybe a traditional Type III would provide better padding in that situation. I've got a couple really nice neoprene ones for waterskiing, and we always have them on the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-26-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook