SailNet Community - View Single Post - bottom
Thread: bottom
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: bottom

You have basically the same deal as me... no blisters (well mine have been repaired before, and I have found 1 since)...

But basically if it had anti-fouling on it already at one point, then it likely has has barrier coat as well.

Scrape off all the anti-fouling (only if it's so bad that it's flaking off)... If you do this... do it all. Sand, 60 grit or 80 grit. Once smooth... use a wash to remove any mold release if you accidentally hit fiberglass removing the anti-fouling (trust me you will, lots).

Once that is done, fill the scratches, and gouges (there will be plenty)... fair the keel (make everything smooth-ish)... Then barrier coat. Then bottom paint.

The alternative (that I now STRONGLY recommend)... soda blast the bottom. Its quicker, and less labor for you! Even if you've never done it, the learning curve HAS to be better.

This is what I started with:

and this:

Fairing Compound:

Sanded:

Barrier Coated:

I've since VC17m'd the bottom (I'm freshwater).

But anyway, I have to say the Interlux 2000e Barrier coat is neat stuff. Hard as nails, auto-levels nicely, and is very thick/tough. Also I used interlux water tight for fairing (boy that stuff is a pain to sand).

EVERYTHING is toxic! Copper ablative, epoxy paints, bottom paints, sanding is especially bad. Use a lead paint removal (or better) respirator, and a bunny suit, gloves... the dust gets into everything!