SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

This pissing match doesn't surprise me. We are sailors ... and we like to compare the tatoos on our chests, and, in a bind, we jury rig our sails with the guts of our fallen crew.

Honestly. Could it be that some of the things that we love about sailing are what some people hate? And some of the things that people say they hate about sailing, are secretly the things that we love. There are always curmudeons on Sailnet that give you a hard time about creature comforts and luxuries because it isn't the "old way." I love those curmudeons' trash talk and ribbing (as long as its civil). Sailing is a sport and it's a personal challenge to sail ... your way. Some people like the old way ... I secretly do. Some people like the latest gadgets ... I secretly do. I perpetually restore an old boat ... mostly the old way ... but I'm not going to apologize (and no one should) because running lines aft, or some push button gadget is right or cool to them. But I still look forward to the curmudeons giving me a hard time on Sailnet. I hope that it is civil and welcoming ... and after we all compare chest tatoos, people should welcome another person into the world of sailing to which we all belong ... gadgets and all.

Last edited by dvuyxx; 03-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook