SailNet Community - View Single Post - Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Actually, what I liked about the Aussie gear was, aside from what appeared to be a very affordable initial price, even more so the 10 year battery life span. I've now had to replace batteries on our ACR GPIRB and PLB's twice since we bought them in 2002 and that's not an inexpensive proposition tho' certainly necessary.
As a follow-up/closing comment to this discussion, after contacting ACR regarding battery replacement, I discovered that our PLB 100 is now considered "obsolete" and they will not replace the battery. As an alternative, however, ACR did offer an exchange for a new "TerraFix" unit for less than the cost of a replacement battery for the PLB 100. The TerraFix is also a "discontinued" model but will be serviced for some years to come, certainly as long as the life of a replacement battery for our old unit so I could do worse.

On a positive note, I learned that the cost for the batteries for our GlobalFx has come down by about 25% since our last replacement so I'm ahead there although there is a good likelihood that this unit too will not be "rechargeable" after this cycle.

Considering the foregoing, and my experience with Garmin as to its Chart Plotter/GPS devices of late, it seems that the life-span of electronic devices is about 8-10 years and cost/benefit evaluations should be made with that in mind.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook