SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
sea·man·ship (smn-shp)
n.
Skill in navigating or managing a boat or ship.
So I had to actually look up the word Seamanship to see what "they" say it means.

It's really pretty short, isn't it.

So lets take the Joy Stick from a Jenneau and lets see who else uses it. cruise ships with thousands of passengers can do a loop-de-loop of an anchorage without tugs and in remote islands and coral cays because and ONLY because they have Joystick and similar computer controlled devices.

You would have to think the Captain is doing a seamanlike job displaying Seamanship.
However if the computer joystick thingo blows up the Captain can not and will not attempt the same maneuvers by direct command.

He will have to wait outside port, or wait in port until the gizmo is fixed by an expensive Gizmo Fixer.

But we don't slag the ship captain because he can't maneuver it, nor because he can't himself fix it!

Remember the litany of Carnival Cruises ships breakdowns in the last few weeks. Do we call the Captains lacking seamanship because they call a tug? Or stay in Port? Or get the passengers off? No! We say that's a high level of Seamanship!

So if Joystick use is seamanship in ships with hundreds of thousands of tons of Oil, or cargo, or passengers why shouldn't it be the same for a Jeanneau 45????

Mark

Carl's Sail Calculator now at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook