SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready To Go Back In?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Bubble,

It was one of my deal breakers with every boat I look at no matter which size. If it isnt safe/ easy to walk up the gunwhale and work on the deck it goes off the list. It isnt a functions of size either. Youd be suprised how many 35-40 Ffts have very little walking room let alone foot placement or you have to squeeze or go outside the shrouds. My friends 3 year old Hunter 38 falls into this category. It is awkward leading his cockpit going forward.

The first indication is the lack of sensible egress out of the cockpit and the first step. Do you have to squeeze by the coachroof?

A stable platform makes all the difference in the world when it comes to safety
I had a similar concern and made the opposite conclusion. For a 25 foot boat, the side decks are so narrow that they're practically worthless, so might as well get rid of them and have a wider coach roof (which is what they did on the C250). Yes, the initial step up is a little higher, but there's a nice handrail there to stabilize the step up.

In a larger boat, I would also demand wide comfortable side decks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook