SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road
Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuurboSpaggetti View Post
I've read that these boats are light for their size, which is what attracts me to them (trailerabilty and size combo seems pretty hard to match) but is it too light to be sailed on Lake Michigan?
I just sold my Venture 22 last fall. I sailed her exclusively on Lake Michigan. The boat if well equipped and in good condition is a safe boat on Lake Michigan so long as you know the limits of the boat. I routinely sailed in 3 footers and had her out one day in 5-6 with an occasional larger wave. I was very cautious and stayed very close to the protected waters but the boat handled it. On days about 20knots I didn't go out and on days above 6 footers I didn't go out. The boat is fast in its class and I would often run circles around a local Chrysler 22. I had a 5hp outboard that in hind sight could have been another 2.5 bigger for pushing through waves at times but the boat is a good boat under sail. She acts like a boat much bigger than her price. Very good under Full main, I could reach 4knts in 12-15knts of wind with just the main. In heavy winds a small 90% jib will balance the boat and she will fly. I often over shot the theoretical Hull speed. I was single handed most of the time or with my kids which is harder than single. The boat was a great boat and did well in both light air and in heavier weather. JUST KNOW THE LIMITS AND DO GO OUT WHEN YOU SHOULDN'T.

Where will you be sailing out of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook