SailNet Community - View Single Post - Average number of months for a sailboat to sell
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Average number of months for a sailboat to sell

OK - I'll share some more of what I know, but not everything. I don't want to embarrass the seller, or the broker (any more than I have). It is neither of the boats that you mention (but you're close).

From what I understand, the owner received an unsolicited offer from a buyer in 2005. The offer was too good to walk away from, and the owner agreed to the asking price. The boat was hauled for a survey, and something happened to kill the deal.

When I first learned of this particular boat, in 2007, the price was roughly 170% of comparable boats, and it had been listed with a broker for almost 9 months (at least as far as I could tell - the trick is; when you see a boat listed in Yachtworld, click the "Print This Boat" link, and it will show you when the boat was listed AT THE CURRENT PRICE). Because I really wanted a Pearson 36-2 I followed this boat until I bought my O'day 35 in 2010.

Over the years I have watched as other boats have sold, or dropped in price. While this boat has also dropped in price it has never been at the low end of the price spectrum (or even the middle) for this model. I believe that the buyer priced it too high to begin with, and thereby scared away all of the potential buyers when he first listed it. Since then, they have been chasing the bottom of the market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook