SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuurboSpaggetti View Post
Well, the lock is part of the fun for me, I guess I'm a nerd. It'll probably get old. The boat's co-owner lives about 8 blocks from the Richard J Daley boat launch, and being a true Chicagoan, i'd be loath not to make use of a ramp with that name. Its not a deal breaker, but I'd like it be possible if its not too much trouble. I know I'll have an interior painting and probably a fair amount of gelcoat work to do, so adding a whole lot more work on top of it all just to go under some bridges isn't something I'd dive into.
Are we talking Western and the River?

1. Your not going to raise and lower your mast and sail in the river. At most it is what 300 feet wide? And the bridges downtown are a block or two apart. I don't see this happening.
2. That has got to be a 1-hour motor, add the lock and you are looking at 1-1/2 hours before you raise a sail.

I really think you need to rethink your strategy for getting on the water. Most of us are looking to be as close as possible to the open water to increase our time actually sailing.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook