SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canadians: Station License or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013

doogymon is on a distinguished road
Re: Canadians: Station License or not?

Maritime Radio Licensing Requirements for Canadians

Licence<---refers to the Radio Station Equipment. Nothing to do with an authorization for using/operating" a two way marine radio.

Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?
Depends. You will not require a licence (Licence Exemption) if you meet both of the following criteria:
1. the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
2. the radio equipment on board is maritime communications or marine navigation frequencies only.
Industry Canada RBR-2 — Technical Requirements for the Operation of Mobile Stations in the Maritime Service - Spectrum Management and Telecommunications (RBR-2)

Certification <-----refers to the authorization for using/operating" a two way marine radio.
Do I still require a Radio Operator Certificate?
Yes. The Radio Operator Certificate (ROC-M for pleasure boaters) is still a requirement for anyone who may be operating the mobile maritime radio equipment, regardless of whether a radio licence is required. In other words, always.
If I use a single-sideband (SSB) radio equipment on my vessel, will I require a licence?
Depends. If the frequencies used on SSB are in the maritime mobile band and you are sailing as per exemption, no. If outside this band, Yes a licence will be required. If in International waters, Yes. And of course you will need your ROC-M as always.
If I have radar on board my ship, will I require a licence?
Depends. Most radars operate on frequencies contained within the maritime mobile band and if you are sailing as per
exemption, no. If outside this band, yes a licence will be required. If in International waters,yes. and of course you will need your ROC-M as always. You can verify if your radar operates within this band by referring to RBR-2.

If I was previously issued a call sign, but now meet the exemption criteria, can I continue to use my old call sign?
No. Instead use vessel's name if exempted. The call sign previously issued is no longer valid and should not be used as a means of
identification. Yes if you have licensed station. Power Sail Squadron recommends Vessel name + Industry Canada issued Callsign.
I have a radio installed on board my vessel which operates on frequencies outside the maritime mobile band. Do I require a radio licence?
Yes. However if we are talking Ham, in Canada they call Amateur Radio authorizations "operator certificates" as they did away with Station Licences.

Portable Radios
I have a portable radio(s) which operates in the maritime mobile band that I use on board my vessel for communicating with my dingy or for docking, etc. Do I need a radio licence for it?
Depends. If you have one or more portables which operate in the maritime mobile band, and which meet the exemption criteria, a radio licence is Not required. If in International waters, Yes. and of course you will need your ROC-M as always. I use a portable radio on board my vessel that operates on frequencies outside the maritime mobile band. Do I require a radio licence?
Yes, however if we are talking Ham, in Canada they call Amateur Radio authorizations "operator certificates" as they did away with Station

Licences.
I have a portable radio on board my vessel which operates in the maritime mobile band. Can I also use this on land?
Never. The intent of the maritime mobile bands is to provide safety communications to ships or vessels. Only specifically authorized stations (IC/FCC) , are allowed to use radio equipment on land. Unauthorized use could have a serious impact on the effectiveness of this safety service.
Can I use maritime radio equipment on land or in my vehicle for personal use?
No., maritime radio equipment should not be operated on land or in vehicles for personal use. The intent of the maritime mobile bands is toprovide safety communications to vessels. The Coast Guard is the primary user for fixed Maritime. Sometimes marinas and yacht clubs receive authority to use maritime land based stations but they will be paying a yearly Station Licence fee for that privilege if granted.
Does the licence exemption apply to everyone, including safety services and commercial operations?
Yes.
Will compulsorily fitted vessels still require a radio licence?
No, as long as the exemption criteria is met, i.e Operating in Canada. Operators need certifications of course.
Will marina radio equipment and other land-based radios which operate in the maritime mobile bands also be exempt from the requirement of a licence?
No Fixed base stations installed at, for example, marinas or yacht clubs will still require a radio licence. The exemption applies only to stations on board a ship or vessel (Mobile).

How do I obtain a ROC-M operators certificate?
In Canada as a Canadian you phone up the local Power Sail Squadron.

How do I get my Station Licence for all of the above (VHF Marine, SSB , Radar, etc) and how much do I pay?
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/s...g/sf08764.html <-------Form IC-3020
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf01742.html <-----------Where to send

Initial Fee= approx $50.00
Renewal= $36.00

Equipment Certification <-----------------this refers to the actual equipment meeting Canadian technical standards
All transmitting devices (Radio Apparatus) must have a sticker affixed to it called a TAC. The label will have initials IC plus a number.
If a two way radio from a foreign country is installed and being used in the country not intended for, problems like improper band plan frequency programming could occur. If poor design/manufacturing standards are used, spurious emmissions may result and could pollute very important bands like the Maritime Band. BTW, FCC Certification does not mean IC certification. Have you ever looked the differences in The Canadian Maritime band versus the American? How about GMRS radios? Even the ham band is a bit different.

What do the Professional Sailors have for Operator Certificates in Canada?
GOC, ROC-MC and other legacy certifications.

Did you ever wonder why a professional occupation existed and exists called Ship's Radio Officer?

Last edited by doogymon; 03-26-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook