SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready To Go Back In?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I had a similar concern and made the opposite conclusion. For a 25 foot boat, the side decks are so narrow that they're practically worthless, so might as well get rid of them and have a wider coach roof (which is what they did on the C250). Yes, the initial step up is a little higher, but there's a nice handrail there to stabilize the step up.

In a larger boat, I would also demand wide comfortable side decks.
Im not surpised you disagree with me.

It has nothing to do with the 25 ft boat. Listed below are popular 25 ft designs ( I didnt even look smaller or large boats just the 25) and could find no design like the Catalinas. In fact the earlier Catalina design is like all the other boats.

I wouldnt call all the other 25 designs worthless at all....more like tried and true. All coachroofs have handrails.

To me its safer to walk forward up the gunwhale leaning to the center of the boat holding the grabrail...(.lower center of gravity than the coachroof) It looks to me on the current Catalina 25 foot design you are forced to pull yourself up to the coachroof by the lifeline. So you stand on the bench in the cockpit and have a very large step up to the roof. so you get yourself to the coachroof and go forward holding on to what the lifeline? The handrails are at your feet? If you are on the leeward side, the boom must be in your way, whereas if there was a gunwhale you could duck under it. So if your jibsheet gets hung on a midship track cleat on the leeward side, how to you get to it?

Here are a smattering of other 25 ft boats with
Quote:
"practically worthless
gunwhales"

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

1984 Beneteau First 24 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1981 C & C 25 Sloop with trailer Sail Boat For Sale

1981 CAL 25 MK II Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook