SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick486 View Post
First of all, the America's Cup is no longer about sailing. It has morphed into a freakish display of expensive technology financed by people who have skin in the game, or are super wealthy and looking for a way to spend money. Real sailboat racing is about kids down at the yacht club learning how to race Penguins, Turnabouts, or 420's. Cost to watch? $0. Sailboat racing is about club championships, regional, and national in the one design of your choice. Price of admission to watch? $0. Don't try to make this about politics and elitist accusations. I'm proud of my affiliation with sailing my entire life and I'm even more proud about what real sailboat racing is about. Sportsmanship, seamanship, skill, and teamwork practiced by folks from all walks of life. The America's Cup is a sad joke at this point not worth the effort I put into this post.
I don't agree. What you are saying can be applied to any sport and does not makes sense in none: Regarding cars it would be saying that F1 and WRC are not real car racing but that what is really racing is club racing, karting and Formula Ford.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook