SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready To Go Back In?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Im not surpised you disagree with me....
Dave - I do not disagree with you. I was agreeing with your comment where you said you would not consider boats with inadequate side decks and/or shrouds that interfered with foredeck access. I also did not say it was about boat size, although I walked around on a lot of boats that were in the 25-26 foot range.

I initially had concerns about the C250's lack of side decks, but those concerns were alleviated after I climbed onto the cabin top (no problem for me making the step) and compared it to the cramped side decks on other boats that I had looked at. I decided that for me, having a wider coach roof was a better use of space than a narrow side deck. And it did make for a much more comfortable cabin, with space for a walk-in head, decent little galley, and comfortable settees and dinette.

I am very aware that most 25 footers have side decks, although there are a few models out there that don't, including the C250.

I do not need to pull myself up on the lifeline. I don't usually go up the leeward side - I'll go up the windward side and walk around the mast if I need to get to leeward. I'm not really sure because I've never had enough problem to think much about it, but if the boat is heeling and close-hauled, I probably put my hand on the boom for a little support. If the weather's really stink, I just sit down and crawl up. I just don't know because it has always worked naturally for me. With all of my lines running aft, I don't often go up forward, except maybe to put out the whisker pole, where I walk up the windward side and then around the mast like I mentioned, but of course then I'm running or on a broad reach, so not much heel.

I don't recall ever getting my jibsheet hung up on my midship cleat, but occasional fouling of the jib track is easily reached by sliding the companionway hatch forward, standing halfway up the companionway ladder, and reaching forward from there without even getting on the roof. You'd be surprised how much you can reach from there.

I think it's a mis-characterization of my comments to link Yachtworld listings of boats that you have selected, and then try to make it look like I said they are "practially worthless." If that's what you think, then speak for yourself. I was just giving the conclusion that I drew with respect to my own boat while I was shopping, and which I obviously decided to purchase and have been very happy with. I was not looking to diss anyone else's boat, since stuff like that is poor style up here.

This conversation has gotten off-topic and is not longer productive, so this is that last that I will say about side decks on this thread.

Back to the original topic: As you can see by the pics I posted, my white bottom paint looks very nice, my mast is up (but nowhere close to tuned), and my boat is almost ready to go back in. I hope everyone else here is happy with the progress they're making too. We're fortunate in Philly that we've had no snow accumulation that lasted more than a few hours all winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook