SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Alice View Post
Here is an interesting campaign. Any comment on this boat design? "A dual-purpose boat."

Kiwi Spirit: A 63-foot Globe Girdler from Lyman-Morse | Cruising World
"Paris 63, designed by the engineers at Farr Yacht Design ... Stanley’s boat—the appropriately named Kiwi Spirit ... is fit out as a lavishly appointed cruising boat with full amenities, including staterooms, a powerful diesel, a generator, refrigeration.... However, when Stanley takes off for the high seas, almost all of it will be gone.... the modular furniture and the heavy-duty machinery—can be removed via the companionway ... goals will be the first-ever completion of a completely green, non-stop and non-assisted passage, with nary a drop of fuel aboard. Instead, for power, he will rely on a suite of solar panels, a series of wind generators, and a quartet of hydro-generators, the juice from which will be stored in a bank of ion phosphate batteries ... Kiwi Spirit, with a lifting keel and a convertible interior, is most certainly the definition of a dual-purpose boat."

Dr. Stanley Paris - Kiwi Spirit, a custom designed 63-foot yacht

Built in Maine by Lyman-Morse
Lyman Morse Boatbuilding - Kiwi Spirit/Paris 63 - Thomaston, Maine

Fair winds, Dr. Paris
Interesting stuff. Thanks for having posted about it.

Nice boat but no secrets here. Farr had chose for the job a boat clearly inspired on Open 60's (he designed a few), almost as beamy with about the same draft (keel down), torpedo keel and two rudders.

Obviously Paris is after some kind of record otherwise he could ave just picked a standard 60ft Aluminium Cigale and do the same with a fraction of the cost (putting all the stuff the boat needs to be autonomous).

I guess that autonomy would be the main problem. If the Acciona would not have capsized (after having lost its keel) already near the end of its circumnavigation there would have no record to beat, except the one in what regards age and regarding those kinds of records, I mean kinder garden girls circumnavigating and old men for a reference time, well, I have already said what I think and I don't like it.

Everything will go alright if the hidrogenerateurs are working bur we saw on the Vendee Globe that some had big troubles with them (hitting debris) and if they are gone it would be difficult or impossible to get the needed energy.

Anyway if what Paris wants is a reference time he should do it on a racing Open 60. On the next Vendee Globe, if not soon, somebody is going to finish what Acciona was close to do and beat by far the time he can make with that boat, even if a fast boat for a cruising one.

Skipper - Vendée Globe 2012-2013

Anyway, the best of luck to him even if doing that with 76 years does not seem reasonable to me. There are no miracles and a man with 76 years is more prone to all kind of health problems and requires to be checked regularly not to mention more fragile bones and a bigger risk of breaking one due to an accidental fall. We are talking about being probably 5 months without any kind of assistance. On a 76 year old man that is a big risk, far bigger than the one of having problems with the boat (energy problems apart).

Anyway, the boat looks great even if I don't understand why the water length was not maximized. Maybe it has to do with the personal taste of Paris in what regards the shape of the bow. I cannot see any other explanation for Farr to have used an old bow shape on a modern boat.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook