SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Moisture Control
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Winter Moisture Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
Just reading through this thread and I have not heard anyone mention the infra red heaters that are out. They are supposed to have a low energy draw and keep a place real warm. Has anyone here looked into them? I would be interested to hear how it worked out.
Heaters may vaporize any water into the air, but you need ventilation (fans exchanging air with the outside) or entrapment (dehumidifier, DampRid, etc.) to remove the water.

Heating up the moisture without removing it would probably make any mold/mildew problems worse, not better.

And as someone else said, electric heaters pretty much deliver the same BTUs that they draw from the electricity. Efficiency is about 100% whether it's radiant, natural convection, or forced convection. There is no "magic bullet" that delivers more BTUs than it takes in through the electrical outlet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook