SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Alice View Post

The boat is also being proposed (with a bit of reading between the lines) as a production prototype: "A successful circumnavigation will demonstrate that with modern design and at a reasonable cost a boat can be produced in the United States that can solo circumnavigate, entirely green and in record time thus demonstrating a fast short handed family cruiser. ... All cruise boats should be capable of being sailed solo. Even if there are three on board." []Lyman Morse Boatbuilding - Kiwi Spirit/Paris 63 - Thomaston, Maine
Yes Alice, I has saying, the point is not US not being able to do such a boat. That is ridiculous. US produces some of the best boats around, unfortunately not mass produced ones in my opinion. What US brands need is to command designs to top designers and that is what did Paris. If Catalina or Hunter does the same there will be a huge increase in produced boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Alice View Post
Oh Paulo, you wrote: "Anyway if what Paris wants is a reference time he should do it on a racing Open 60." But I think Paris makes the point (as you have) that at his age and thus ability, he wants a certain comfort and safety level or cushion. And he seems hardly decrepit! He has every possibility of achieving his goals, and so what if they are exceeded later? That seems always the case, as time marches on. To my eye, well the boat looks fantastic.
Maybe you have understand me wrongly. When someone wants to achieve something it is important to understand what is the achievement. If what he pretends is to establish some sort of geriatric record regarding circumnavigating solo he could have done it at a third of the price (or less) on the several boats available on the market, specially as you point out, he is has no sponsorship.

Regarding comfort, speed doesn't go with comfort and his boat is a very fast one, a very radical performance cruiser. He would be a lot more comfortable in a slower and less extreme boat. If what he wants is a performance record that goes with his geriatric record than an adapted solo race boat would be the way to go. If sailed conservatively and with a smaller rig it would not be harder to sail that this one, quite the contrary, since the sail area would be a lot smaller and the stability bigger. One that goes for a 4 months speed record has not has his main priority comfort. that is just what I meant.

Regarding age the most famous sailor is Sato, a Japanese one and I don't think that he does that for fame or for breaking geriatric records since he has circumnavigated already 8 times. He does that because he likes to do that and has done that repeatedly, racing and cruising. Even so on his last circumnavigation against the prevailing winds at the age of 77 he experienced an emergency hernia operation, back pain and a knee operation. Heart tablets had also to be delivered.

Paris is an experienced sailor (three North Atlantic crossings, three from Alaska to New Zealand and one circumnavigation) but contrary to Sato he is not an experienced solo sailor.

I hope everything goes well for him but has I have said I do not support geriatric records or infantile ones. In the first case its seems to me that the risks related with health hazard are dis-proportionally high and that makes just no sense.

By the way, by his own words he is trying to beat 4 records:

1 - Oldest to have circumnavigated non-stop (by some 18 years)

2 - Fastest in a cruising boat – the record is 150 days and I am shooting for 120-days, from Bermuda back to Bermuda aiming for Dodge Morgan’s record from 1986.

3 - New record to be established from St. Augustine, Florida and back again via Bermuda (no-stopping there)

4 - First ever green using no hydrocarbons, no gas, no diesel. Not even propane or butane.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-27-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook