SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips on Watch Standing
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips on Watch Standing

on watch, no music, as folks are sleeping. i dont have mp3 or ipod. music is for when stuff isnt failing. gales--no music. dont have ability to hear breakage when the ears are fulla music. the sound if incoming water is something to always listen for, a sis the off song sound of an engine in trouble, or the delicate sound of ripping sails..lol
the sweet sounds the gooseneck can make prior to failure is something to be heard not ignored.

and then there are the other sounds--the ones made in nature--wind increasing, whales singing, dolphins talking.....all missed when there is music in your ears on watch. subtle changes in nature's presentation are also often audible.
i love sailing and i love music, but i wont listen to music on watch. we party when anchor is set and boat is secure.

i also have the ability to have informal and relaxed watches on my formosa--the autopilot is awesome and reliable, and i like to have 2 in cockpit all the time, altho is difficult in short handed passages.i dont sleep soundly while sailing--so i can overlap the watch man and we are good. i also hear the lil stuff while i am inside boat trying to sleep so watchman has a backup for anything that may seem out of kilter--mebbe not just imagination..lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 03-27-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook