SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Though I do not support geriatric egos and the men and women my age (61) or older breaking records. But I do hope that Mr Paris breaks Dodge Morgans record. Dodge Morgan was a true New Englander and a fine sailor for his time. I enjoyed the film made of his record sail back in the 80's, that I believe was one of the first attempts at modern day sailing with electronic instrumentation. Mr Paris looks like a fine man I wish him well and good health.

And I like the non advertising on Paris's boat also, you would think he was a Yankee New Englander too.
Don't take me wrong I do have an huge respect and admiration for those that with an advanced age (for the Sport they practice) beat themselves with younger and apparently more fit sportsmen in equal terms for absolute records or race results more even if they prove to be better.

The issue here for me is a specific record based not on performance but on the age of the one that is establishing it and that is his main priority and the first one on his list of achievements:

1 - Oldest to have circumnavigated non-stop.

I have an huge respect and admiration by sailors like 69 year old Loick Peyron that last year beat the absolute (crewed) world circumnavigation record or 57 year old Francis Joyon that 5 years ago beat the absolute solo circumnavigation record, some month ago beat the central solo Atlantic record and that is waiting a good meteo window for the North Atlantic record.

But a 76 old man being competitive solo sailing in absolute terms competing with younger sailors? No way. I don't believe that even one of the greatest sailing champions like Loick Peyron would be competitive with 69 solo sailing.

A record based on performance for an advanced age has no meaning to me. What about an athletics 100m record time for 70 year old men and to 80 and 90 year's old men. That seems ridiculous and it is ridiculous in my opinion.

I have the utmost respect for the ones that with old age keep on cruising for the pleasure of cruising and voyaging and I know of some with more than 80 and I only hope to be able to do the same, but someone that at the age of 76 is trying to establish a sail record for his age seems to me only be doing a foolish thing, no different to try to establish any other sports record for an advanced age.

Enough of this. Everybody can have its own opinion about this, but if someone wishes to discuss this further please open a thread about the value and interest of relative records based on advanced age performance, sailing or otherwise.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook