SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sailboats to old sailors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Alice View Post
Thanks Hannah,

This is a thread about interesting production sailboats, though in 400+ pages it's traversed some interesting fringes. When I contemplate the Paris 65, I wonder if it can be seen as a (potential) proof of concept for the older sailor, and a green sailor. What I mean is:

Easily sailed solo
Offshore capable
Does not require 20-30-something physical strength to operate
Performance cruising in modern speed terms
Relatively affordable (as stated)
Green is rather attractive, don't you think?
Works for the older capable sailor

I would like to add a comment: I live in Kyushu, and crew on various boats. The skipper/owners are mostly in their 70s. They love sailing and are very experienced. The economy crashed here in 1997, so boats are at least 18 years old. There are almost no young people who are into sailing/racing where I am. On a personal note, I'm in my 50s and I hope to sail my boat in my 70s too. In this thread we don't discuss generally the older sailor in relation to new production boats -- I mean sailors who may like to day race and/or go offshore. And it's hard for me to tell which boats in this thread would be pragmatic, in this sense -- just saying.

Well, many people are pretty spry here into their 80s, and the skipper of the J/120 I crewed on this past weekend is a gem, in his 70s. We are talking soul and culture, and expertise. I learn so much from him. And older folks want good boats too I guess.

Anyway, yachting is collapsing here, and this is the sad truth. Sorry for my hijack of this thread... but to return on-topic, now the point has been raised, I wonder what new boats I'd recommend to my 70s skipper of a J/120, so he can sail as he likes into his 80s. Seriously. And I mean, are there some good examples already presented in this thread? Which would you (Paulo, anyone) suggest, if you don't object to the question?
Alice you are very much welcome, as anyone else, to this this thread. I just didn't want to start here a discussion about the merits of sailing records based on age: very young or very old. Not that it is not an interesting debate but not as a main focus on this thread.

I guess that the question you asked is a good one but without a single answer. That depends very much on the sailor experience, tastes and the use he is going to give to the boat, if he is going to sail it solo or with crew..

Almost all mass production boat production are made with the older sailor and short crew (or solo) in mind because it is them that have the money and are buying the boats so I would say if he is going to buy a modern boat almost any mass production boat particularly 40ft and over are suited, depending on the options, unless he wants particular uses to the boat (racing, bluewater cruising, voyaging).

Particularly I would prefer a smaller performance boat (38ft) with less mechanical assistance (electrical winches, assisted docking and so on) but I am part of a minority.

Some that sail solo would even prefer a smaller boat (32 to 36ft) but normally it is the best sailors, I mean among the older ones, that chose smaller boats, boats that they can completely exploit and that their knowledge permits to sail safely and fast. However a bigger boat, even if not so fun and in many cases not as fast, will have a bigger safety margin to a less knowledgeable sailor. The same can be said generically regarding heavier boats face to lighter boats, if the sail area is not much different.

Not knowing the sailor or his tastes and assuming a really old one (70 or so) a conservative taste, a typical cruising program, a quality slightly above the usual and a reasonable dealership in the US I would say this one:

The boat is made by Hanse and your friend will have the pleasure of sailing in a boat designed by an American Na, one that normally design bigger yachts, Bill Dixon.

http://sailing.com.ua/files/1/moody4...ure_eng_08.pdf

If you search on this thread you will find more information.

Of course, if at 70 he feels the strength and the desire to do long voyages to remote places, than talk to Hannah, I guess that he has one of the boats that it is fit for that, even if the sailor is not young anymore. As I said most of those boats, even voyage boats are bought bu people over 50 so they are thought to be easily sailed.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-27-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook