SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sharing through-hulls and pumps
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013
S/V Jeanne Marie

dtempleton is on a distinguished road
Sharing through-hulls and pumps

My 50' custom sloop has lots of bells and whistles some of which that I wouldn't have selected in bought new, but do want to maintain. For example, three AC units, water cooled refrigerator, and watermaker. In sum, there are 13 through hulls below the water line, and 11 at the water line.

Partly stemming from a sea strainer that needs repair, I'm wondering if I can merge the function of two or more of them. I searched the archives for through hull sharing, but what I found is related to the engine through hull.

For example, the watermaker and the AC each require a strainer and a pump. I'm thinking of using a single strainer with two pumps, but I'm worried about the watermaker pump pulling air back through the AC unit discharge line, that's above water. I could install a check valve in each, but that adds a level of complexity that could present future problems. Does anyone have experience in this kind of arrangment?

At some level, this is no different in concept from a small sea-chest. Do sea chests have a way of preventing back suction?
S/V Jeanne Marie --- Morgan 51 cutter, Hull#1
Jackson Creek --- Deltaville, VA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook