SailNet Community - View Single Post - Average number of months for a sailboat to sell
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Average number of months for a sailboat to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I suppose I can understand that. But then, it seems to me like it doesn't take too many like the above, where the seller ends up bad-mouthing the broker all over town, to make it not worth the occasional, eventual sale.

I guess what I'm thinking of is the real estate brokers office that I worked in a couple of summers, back when I was a kid. I know that he would refuse to list houses if the owner was not realistic about a price. Said it wasn't worth his time, and that it made him look bad if he carried a bunch of houses that never sold. I would think the same would apply to boat brokers, but maybe they don't think of it the same.
This is the smart thing to do. Some brokers like to fill up a page so it looks like they have lots of listings even though the sellers are not realistic or serious about selling. I wanted to look at one boat and it was a 4 hour drive away but could not make it before the end of the season. The seller said "it is off the market for the winter." The boat was for sale for several more years. Obviously the wife had said "you better sell that boat," and his response was "I am trying honey, but the market is slow" meanwhile enjoying all the sailing he wanted to. I think the broker was OK because when someone called about that boat he had you in the door and he could take you around to other boats, saying "he is not very serious about selling his boat, but this guy with this other boat is very motivated..."

As long as both parties are OK with the deal. Of course some sellers want to sell but either owe too much or think the boat is worth way more than it is. They really need a serious sit down, and have someone say to them, "the only way this boat will sell is if you are willing to take less than $X and if not then I will have to remove/not take your listing."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook