SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Transat Bretagne-Martinique

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Those are really bad news. She wanted so much to finish that race

She had invested everything on that boat. Really sad for her.

Nice to see that someone else is following the race:

Transat Bretagne Martinique 2013

It seems that after two big storms they have now an easy way to America. The race has been great. I am a fan of Tabarly, the one that is currently in third. He is the descendant of a great family of professional sailors and I would love to see him raise to that very exclusive first division, racing with the best, on Open 60.

Regards

Paulo
Sorry if I'm wearing this thread off course..
Found this post here Kristin Songe-MÝller om mastebruddet : kappseiling.no Ė seiling og kappseiling

I think this text can stand without any comments..
Quote:
First of all, Iíd like to say that Iím well and there are no damages on my hull. Dispite the situation Iím in good spirit. Thereís not much I can do, but solve the situation in the best possible way. So, I was reaching, sailing about 12 knots. Windspeed about 27 knots. I had one reef in the main, and solent. (Iíd been doing some repairs of my mainsail the day and the night before, sewing and taping tears in the leach, and replacing the broken leachline with a new one, so I wanted to be a bit careful with my mainÖ) I was down below, just about to do a routing of how to sail around the highpressure in the Canaries, when I heared the big crash. From the corner of my eye, out of the window I sa w my green mainsail. I think I screamed and shouted whilst I, without even thinking, grabbed my toolbox and ran up into thecockpit. I did a quick check to see how the mast was lying in the water. Luckily it was not touching the hull. Then I started getting the rig off. I took with me the hacksaw, hammer and a pliar on deck. I used the pliar to take the splints out and the hammer to knock the bolts out. It was supprisingly easy. I cut all the ropes and wires with the cockpit-knife. As the sea was fairly big, I wanted to get the mast away from my boat as fast as possible, to prevent any damages on my hull. Then I called the race director. I didnít cry. I wasnít scared. I was suprisinglig cool and levelheaded. I was extremely focused on solving the problem in the best possible way. I removd the seal from my propeller shaft, and turned on the engine, whilst I started thinking about how to set a jury rig, using the spinnaker pole(s). Then the autopilot started akting up, because the NKE had no master. Luckily Iíve been working a fair bit on how the NKE-systemworks, thanks to good guidance from my training-partner, Arnaud Godart-Philippe. So it didnít take me too long to take out the wires from the mast units form the bus, the ones I had cut, and reinit the pilot dispay. I tided up the pole in the companionway. And used the storm-jib, fastened to the pole downhaul on the foredeck, the spinnakerpole in the companionay, and the cled in the spinnaker barber-block. Iím heading to Portugal. Hopefully Iíll get to Lagos without assistance. Itís a good marina, I was there in 1999 and 2000. My worries now, is what to do next. I knew it was a bit of a gamble spending all my money on the Transat, in hope of getting a sponsor. Now Iím pretty much f**ked for that. So I donít know what to do next. Iíll have to take one thing at the time. First getting my boat safely to shore, then ďhomeĒ to France. Kristin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook