SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Automated sailing mentality anecdotally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I was really surprised by the vitriolic tone of some of the earlier posts, especially given the rather innocuous nature of this topic. Frankly, it sounded awfully close to the “Name your second and I’ll meet you on the cliffs of Weehawken at sunrise”. Good grief. (In honor of Jon Eisberg *Grin*)
Marvelous post, Jeff, as always... C'mon, when is that book of yours gonna be published, huh?

However, you're not fooling me - I just KNOW you were among that crowd at the Annapolis Boat Show that was APPLAUDING Beneteau's 360 docking hourly demos, when Old Schoolers like me were walking away, shaking our heads... (grin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Anecdotally, I see this trend in a variety of symptoms. For example, in the late 1800’s, there were liveries of small rental sailboats all along the Hudson River. Blue collar workers of the era rented these for a day on the River. On Sunday’s the river was clogged with small sailing craft of a wide variety. People of a board range of economic standing, understood how to sail, and would follow sailing events in the Newspapers in the same way that people follow major league sports on cable channels today.
No doubt you've read TEMPLE TO THE WIND, a wonderful account of Herreschoff's RELIANCE, and her defense of the America's Cup... If you haven't, I'm sure you'd love it... One of the most interesting takeaways from that story, was how engrossed the public was in such an event, it was HUGE news, and a skipper like Charlie Barr was as famous as the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of today...

Another recommendation for you, one of the best books I've read in recent months... A MAN AND HIS SHIP, the story of William Francis Gibbs and the creation of the UNITED STATES, which we all know was the most beautiful ship ever built... A fascinating book, very well done...

Book Review: A Man and His Ship - WSJ.com

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-27-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook