SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
post #157 of Old 03-27-2013
JonEisberg

Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

I like this thinking, the idea of the snubber. However, there is a reason neither OSHA not climbers use that design; while it would give perhaps 4-8 inches at a steadily increasing resistance, the screamer can extend several feet at a steady resistance. It simply won't absorb enough energy. But I like the line of thinking and hope someone explores it. There might be a good compromise answer. Personally, I think the compromise would be a shorter screamer-type construction, since the energy absorption requirement is perhaps 50%. This could be quite inexpensive, replaceable like a fuse, and they would VERY rarely trigger, not in most sailor's lifetime's.
Thanks for your input on this, but I hadn't realized a typical screamer would permit that much additional extension... I think I'll take my chances of getting snatched up short on a regular tether, than going with a degree of additional length that could easily make the difference between remaining on deck, and going over the side... (grin)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome