SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

I like this thinking, the idea of the snubber. However, there is a reason neither OSHA not climbers use that design; while it would give perhaps 4-8 inches at a steadily increasing resistance, the screamer can extend several feet at a steady resistance. It simply won't absorb enough energy. But I like the line of thinking and hope someone explores it. There might be a good compromise answer. Personally, I think the compromise would be a shorter screamer-type construction, since the energy absorption requirement is perhaps 50%. This could be quite inexpensive, replaceable like a fuse, and they would VERY rarely trigger, not in most sailor's lifetime's.
Thanks for your input on this, but I hadn't realized a typical screamer would permit that much additional extension... I think I'll take my chances of getting snatched up short on a regular tether, than going with a degree of additional length that could easily make the difference between remaining on deck, and going over the side... (grin)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook