SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Perhaps if we ever reach the point when a private individual can purchase a $350K airplane, and immediately begin flying it without any demonstration of prior experience or competence whatsoever, then such analogies between aviation and recreational boating might have a bit more validity... Hopefully, it will never come to that, nor hopefully will I ever wind up in an airplane being flown by someone with a level of flying experience equivalent to a sailor who has never docked a boat without resorting to the use of a joystick docking system... (grin)
I am in complete agreement that any skipper should be properly trained. Further, a good skipper would be committed to lifetime learning as well. I will bet many of us look forward to attending a seminar or two at various boatshows, for example.

However, there has been a noted distain for anyone to even have the modern conveniences of sailing today: lines led aft, plotters, auto pilots, thrusters, etc. It shocks me that some are ridiculed for buying safety equipment too. These are not related to whether the skipper is competent without them. In fact, the Skipper is often convicted as incompetent for simply having them.

I remain with the aviation analogy. We are as well trained as you are at the helm, but would never consider an aircraft without modern navigation and electronic assistance to be as airworthy as an old DC3, despite how much fun they were to fly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook