SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Prudence to me is making sure that I can keep myself and others as safe as possible. That means a lot of "what if" thinking, and it also means I do have safety equipment, I don't scorn at people for having roller furlers, lines led aft or anything of the sort. I too was shocked at having to defend making use of tethers and harnesses.

It doesn't mean I have every possible thing known to man. I mean, the next boat I'm getting won't have stanchions and lifelines around the perimeter, but it will have roller reefing, an assymetric spinnaker on a roller and I will be carrying an EPIRB, as well as my PLB, and use harnesses and tethers as much as possible. Especially when single handing.

I'll also have an autopilot with a remote to help me tack and to relieve me at the helm to tend to other things.

Need I say I will also continue to use GPS, a VHF, and my cell phone?

Also - because I'm scared shitless about fires - I only have the bare minimum of old-style flares on board (as defined by the law), but instead rely on laser "flares" from Greatland and I just ordered a "handheld" laser flare from odeoflare.co.uk. I hope it will soon be possible to do completely without gun powder flares.

I like some old things, as is evidenced by my choice of the next boat (old in style), but I really have no desire to do everything like in the "good old days". I don't think they were that good, nor safe. I will make use of anything within reason if it can make me more safe, or make it easier to single hand, or make it more comfortable (without taking too much of the fun out of it).

There are places I wont go without my depth sounder. Should I do everything by lead line like in the "good old days"? Hell, no, it takes longer, and its not as safe or even possible at times to do that when out and about alone.

Last edited by One; 03-27-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook