SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Thanks for your input on this, but I hadn't realized a typical screamer would permit that much additional extension... I think I'll take my chances of getting snatched up short on a regular tether, than going with a degree of additional length that could easily make the difference between remaining on deck, and going over the side... (grin)
Remember, a screamer will NOT even begin to activate until the impact force exceeds 500lbs. Once the load goes below 500lbs it stops ripping (i.e. it can only partially extend/rip)

Now imagine this. Your harness has 2" webbing right? That means you would bear the impact over a 2" section of your ribcage and or spine. Would you sign up for having your ribs/spine whacked with the narrow side of a 2x4 to the tune of >500lbs??? That'd be about the same as standing there while Babe Ruth took his best swing at your ribcage!

If you loose your balance and get snatched up against the tether with the screamer, it's no big deal. If you fall far enough across the boat to activate the screamer, you're REALLY going to want it to activate to avoid major bone and organ damage.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook