SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Journeyman 60

Another interesting proposition as a voyage boat for high latitudes charter work:

This is a Swedish one off and it is meant to high latitude sailing. It is was an one off but I heard about the interest to build more.

The owner and co-designer says about it:

The Journeyman 60 yacht is designed by Jesper Weissglas. Every solution, every detail and every choice of materials is based on experience from over 30 000 nautical miles of adventure charter sailing in rough conditions, including the Across Greenland expedition with renowned Swedish adventurer Ola Skinnarmo.

Journeyman is the result of over 5 years of design work. Jesper is living his dream and his vision, but he has also had to deal with harsh economic realities and numbing obstacles – often no bigger than a single aluminum bolt. The process has involved some of Sweden’s sharpest minds on aeronautical and structural design – mostly without any other reward but the thrill of being part of a project beyond the ordinary. The underwater hull is based on research by Gabriel Heyman, and the appendages are designed in cooperation with Jens Österlund.

The first yacht was built at the Alunaut Shipyard on Saaremaa in Estonia. The experienced team at the yard – accustomed to building performance workboats – put all their skills and raw enthusiasm into building Sweden’s first “extreme express cruiser”.

Why a new design?
Standard cruising yachts aren’t designed for rough adventures. As long as the weather is nice everything is fine. The crew is happy and life is comfortable. Then, as temperature drops and the low pressures start lining up, the drawbacks of any modern cruiser (with the words “luxurious interior” written in a prominent place in the sales brochure) become apparent.

When it’s 5°C, the rain is pouring and you’re beating to windward against a strong gale, you don’t care much for the luxurious interior. You do, however, care about the fact that the toilet can only be flushed on the starboard tack. Especially when you’ve been on the port tack for 14 hours. Or three days.

You care about there being nowhere to hang all your wet gear. Well, maybe you don’t, if the deck ventilators are so poorly designed that large waves washing over turn the salon into a shower anyway. And the uninsulated hull contributes with a little condensation rain on top of that. In fact, the hull condensation water might the only drinkable water you get, since the water-maker doesn’t work under speed because of the air bubbles in the inlet water.

This list just goes on and on. And with every new item the morale of the crew sinks lower. So, a great adventure charter journey needs a yacht designed for it. A yacht that takes care of the crew instead of having the crew take care of the yacht....

The Story Behind the Journeyman 60 | Journeyman 60

And the hull designer:

Journeyman is a purposeful design for shifting weather and high latitudes… aluminium hull, rather slender, with water ballast, retracting T-keel, careful engineering. Her pilothouse is a brutal design. As an expedition yacht, she is all about efficiency.

Jesper Weissglas’ hull for the Journeyman was a decent, ordinary, fast hull. Rather slender, but of very modern proportions. Blunt stem, wide stern, easy lines.

But over the past decade, we had been testing and tweaking the hull volumes, under water and above water, to make boats go faster offshore, with an easier motion and drier decks. In addition, the same changes made our designs easier on the helm and more directionally stable.
These new designs had been evaluated in a study at Chalmers University of Technology and, surprisingly, apart from having better handling and an easier motion, VMG was improved by approx. 4%. These results were also verified at SSPA, the test tank facility in Göteborg.

I cannot remember now whether Jesper Weissglas had heard about these studies when he turned to us to confirm that the hull shape would work. But I said that Journeyman could be turned into a better boat, and that the difference would be significant. I guess he was thrilled by this option but he looked at me in disbelief. And replied that we were going to be challenged in such case and that he was going to perform a CFD study of our hull design alongside his own. This trial would have to confirm what I was trying to say.

As it turned out, the design suggested by us showed much lower drag....

Combined with the expected improvements in steering, motion in a seaway and slightly increased sail area, the overall gains seemed irresistible. ..

She is just the purposeful, benevolent, fast expedition yacht she was intended to be. And she is utterly comfortable at sea.

HEYMAN YACHT DESIGN: Expedition Yachts #1

Some facts, figures and dimensions:

http://journeyman.se/wp-content/uplo...0_leaflet4.pdf

Well, I like the concept, the interior feel and habitability inside that kind of WWII airplane bomber canopy but the look is too brutal for me. I would have made the same with a more traditional look. Besides that everything seems perfect for me, the speed, the seaworthiness and the small draft.

This is a type of boat different from the French deriveur concept of boats like The OVNI, Boreal or Allures.

The vantages and disadvantages:

Vantages:

with a very deep keel (1.8-3,8m) and a bulb at the end this boat has the potential to be much more powerful, fast and to point better upwind.

That potential for speed is increased by a much lesser weight in the needed ballast due to the point where it is collocated: 3.8m down versus on the bottom of the boat, or slightly below water line.

Disadvantages:

This type of construction makes for a considerably more expensive boat with added complexity and more maintenance.

When facing bad weather even if the boat has a bigger stability it cannot raise its keel to have a better dynamic stability and eliminate any tripping potential when pushed by a breaking wave. With this boat in bad weather the keel should stay down, otherwise the stability will be diminished, while on a French deriveur, because the ballast is not on the keel, the centerboard can be completely pulled up without any diminution on the boat stability.

A French Deriveur can be beached and has a considerable smaller draft than the one on this kind of boat.

To each one to know if the extra power, lesser weight and speed will compensate for the disadvantages. I guess that there will be opinions on both sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-28-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook