SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Stern thrusters can be pretty nice on larger yachts, expecially when running something like the Erie Canal shorthanded... Always seems to blow hard up there in the fall, and with the windage most motoryachts present at the top of the lift, handling the boat with lines alone can often be a bit of a stuggle..
Agreed. Motor yachts are just big sailboats with no sail controls.

I have been seeing more boats with two or three electric winches which make horsing the boat around easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
However, there has been a noted distain for anyone to even have the modern conveniences of sailing today: lines led aft, plotters, auto pilots, thrusters, etc. It shocks me that some are ridiculed for buying safety equipment too. These are not related to whether the skipper is competent without them. In fact, the Skipper is often convicted as incompetent for simply having them.
At least for my part I do not hold modern conveniences or those who buy and use them in disdain. I happily use plotters and other electronic navigation tools. I am reluctant to head offshore without an autopilot. Generators and aircon (and diesel heat) extend the sailing season for many. I'm dropping my liferaft off for recert next week. My EPIRB is registered and up to date; I have had a discussion with the people on the notification list about what a call from an RCC means.

I'm not personally a fan of thrusters, especially on sailboats, as I feel they are generally underpowered and cause undue resistance underway. I'm not big on the black dust thrown off by the motor on most units. Still, a thruster is a personal choice and if someone chooses to make an educated decision to fit one that is their choice.

I feel similarly about lines led aft. Given that someone understands the issues of friction and water intrusion if you want to take that approach then fine. Saying that measurable implications (friction and water) don't exist is not a service to those that follow in our wake who make their decisions on the basis of statements that cannot be substantiated.

You can measure the load increase resulting from friction in lines led aft. You can see the water that enters the cockpit (and sometimes the cabin) from both seas and rain in most installations of lines led aft. Ignoring observables is not useful.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook