SailNet Community - View Single Post - Otter problem, help!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Otter problem, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I don't mind if I have to do a little clean up. It's just for a few days till I move on and leave the cute and cuddly to their home. (I do understand to live with them may not be quite so flash!)
With all due respect Mark, Kelly is dealing with River Otters, not harbor seals. From 10-15 yards with their young they might seem cute and cuddly but up close and personal they are not. They can be very territorial, quite vicious and hugely destructive. Not long after we built our house we realized the river behind us was a breeding ground for at least one family of River Otters and they were neither cute nor cuddly when we were out and about walking our dogs. They were very aggressive and bold. A family to the south of us lost one of their Springer Spaniels while they were playing fetch with her, pitching a stick into the water for her to retrieve. An 4' long Otter, put out that she was in the "Otter's river", went after her, dragged her down and drowned her. Not long after we heard rifle shots and not a soul in the Village mourned the decrease in the Otter population by a few. Kelly needs to deal with the animals and the sooner the better least they stake a claim on his transom/cockpit.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook