SailNet Community - View Single Post - do you carry an acoustic Guitar?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Re: do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

From a professional guitarist: (Gibson J-150 acoustic electric big Dreadnought body: $3,000.00 acoustic guitar.
rule #1 for expensive acoustic guitars: 'Never leave them where a normal human being would feel uncomfortable' In other words...don't leave it in a hot trunk unless you yourself wouldn't mind sleeping in that hot trunk. Don't leave it outside in the garage when it is cold, etc.
Treat your guitar like a person when it comes to where it 'lives', (where you keep it or store it).
Now, the trick with keeping it on a boat is that the climate fluctuates so much especially regarding temperature. The industry does have some products that are good humidity issues but depending on where you sail there can be way too much humidity and in Florida/Tropics the temperature can get really hot.....so, it is a challenge but the posts from the D'Addario guy is real good. The challenge is not always the humidity it is the high (or low) temperatures.

Some ideas:
-wipe the guitar down after use ALWAYS
-keep it in a good, padded guitar case where it is packed in tight. Keep a gel pac in it if in the humid tropics.
-leave the most expensive guitar at home and just bring the cheaper ones on the boat so you don't have to be freaked out about your guitar getting ****** up. (which it will if you dont nurse it)
-bring a good tuner
-keep the guitar OUT of the salt air at ALL costs.
-Me, I love my Gibson but I would rather take a less expensive Takamine on the boat. I have a Guild that has been so abused I wouldnt care. But, if you have a really nice expensive acoustic guitar that you really care about.....beware of bringing it on any extended sail cruise...especially in hot weather. The heat on the day that you are at the pub enjoying the day will produce wood that is bent and warped and your guitar will be TOAST.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook