SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

I sat at the docks at Great Bridge on the south side of the lock during this storm and watched the water drop over two feet due to the wind. Even inland, it was nasty. A delivery captain who chooses to go around Hatteras rather than take the ICW to Beaufort is not very bright in the first place, and in the face of that forecast - and that storm was forecast well in advance - needs to be examined for an IQ deficiency.
The article says "4 - 6 foot seas". No way. I took a sound recording of that forecast for my blog - the forecast was for 22 foot plus seas. No idea where they got their forecast from, unless they were mistakenly listening to the Albermarle Sound forecast, or the lower Chesapeake Bay. Even Pamlico sound was forecast 4 - 6 feet, so maybe that was it.
And as noted here, anyone who knows anything about that stretch of coast knows those are not sailboat inlets along there - the smart move was south to the Beaufort inlet or north back to the Chesapeake.
This guy may have some experience, but he seems to lack good sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook