SailNet Community - View Single Post - shoal draft keel vs regular keel
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 03-29-2013
Have a go and DIY .....
Re: shoal draft keel vs regular keel

Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Some boat builders, hunter for example, offered models that are identical except one has a shoal draft (non centerboard) fin keel and the other has a regular fin keel. My own hunter 25for has a shoal draft keel, with about a 50%page ballast to displacement ratio. Draft is actually less than 2.5' to waterline. I feel like the boat could point better, but I don't have the experience on other boats to really compare.

I am now looking at two 1981 hunter 33's. They are in similar shape, similar asking prices. One has a 4'shoal draft, the other 5.5.

Are there any other considerations to be had about this choice besides pointing ability? Just how much worse will a shoal draft boat go to windward? Is a 5.5' draft pushing it for cruising li sound? How about the keys and tortugas?
I have the Macwester 26 they all have shoal draught keels.
again problems Sailed ok but prone to weather helm and poor windward performance largely as a result of

shallow keels and wide beam preventing close sheeting of the jib

So I extended the bilge keels

Click page one for details Page 1

A long and boring job as there was not a lot of area that one could use to hold the vessel up due to the rounded shape of the hull.

But now done..
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome