SailNet Community - View Single Post - shoal draft keel vs regular keel
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road
Re: shoal draft keel vs regular keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Some boat builders, hunter for example, offered models that are identical except one has a shoal draft (non centerboard) fin keel and the other has a regular fin keel. My own hunter 25for has a shoal draft keel, with about a 50%page ballast to displacement ratio. Draft is actually less than 2.5' to waterline. I feel like the boat could point better, but I don't have the experience on other boats to really compare.

I am now looking at two 1981 hunter 33's. They are in similar shape, similar asking prices. One has a 4'shoal draft, the other 5.5.

Are there any other considerations to be had about this choice besides pointing ability? Just how much worse will a shoal draft boat go to windward? Is a 5.5' draft pushing it for cruising li sound? How about the keys and tortugas?
I have the Macwester 26 they all have shoal draught keels.
again problems Sailed ok but prone to weather helm and poor windward performance largely as a result of

shallow keels and wide beam preventing close sheeting of the jib

So I extended the bilge keels

Click page one for details Page 1

A long and boring job as there was not a lot of area that one could use to hold the vessel up due to the rounded shape of the hull.

But now done..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook