SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Bank – Parallel or Series
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Re: Battery Bank – Parallel or Series

Hmmm. I remain skeptical that the wiring of the leads makes much, if any difference in battery longevity or performance.

The Smartguage link provides a lot of numbers and a theory, but no calculations because "the calculation is incredibly difficult to do." This despite promising at the outset of the article that he will show us the "maths".

Mainsail provides some anecdotal evidence that battery life and performance will be degraded. However, after using the google machine to research "parallel battery bank wiring", I do not see a consensus that this is true, or that there is one correct way to wire the leads.

In fact, one of the links I found was to a rather lengthy cruiser forum discussion of the issue in which Mainsail was one of the participants. There didn't seem to be any consensus among the "experts" in that discussion. And the thread seemed in danger of devolving in to Solarstick territory.

I may switch up my wiring just because, why not? But I remain unconvinced that it would make any difference. If it really makes as much a difference as the Smartguage people insist, I think there would be more agreement that this is true, and some solid experimental evidence to back it up.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook