SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013

Daily Alice is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?

I'd like to stay on topic, rather than be dissed for not having enough experience, but I guess you feel free. Fair enough. I've never owned the sort of boat I'm now looking for. Grew up sailing; these days crew on a J/120, racing, crew on a 40+' Jeanneau, some others. Will be offshore in the Gulf this summer, etc. I think I mentioned, some months of shakedown cruises planed and a three-year prep. timeframe. Certainly, will have more offshore experience in the next 2 years, however, lacking my own proper boat and big bucks, and considering my location in a beautiful, yet low-yacht-per-capita population, in Kyushu, Japan, I hope you'll cut me some slack. Maybe not. I am well aware as an avid reader of many riveting circumnavigations and passages in many types of craft. I can't row the Atlantic, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Robin Lee Graham crossed the Pacific and almost made it around the world in a Cal/Lapworth 24. It is not the boat that matters, it's your ability.

What is your experience?

The fact that you have to ask this kind of question indicates that you are probably not ready for your trip.

Last edited by Daily Alice; 03-29-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook