SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Robin Lee Graham crossed the Pacific and almost made it around the world in a Cal/Lapworth 24. It is not the boat that matters, it's your ability.

What is your experience?

The fact that you have to ask this kind of question indicates that you are probably not ready for your trip.
Odd, I got the opposite impression, he knows what draft and hull speed are, and generally sounds like he knows about sailing, just looking for recommendations on boats, others he may not have come across yet.

I agree with looking around in Mexico and south, I've seen lots of good cruising ready boats for sail down there too, although I didn't buy one

Also, if you have the option of buying early, that'll give you more options. IE if you can watch the market and be ready to buy a year ahead, you'll have more options then just whats available in the month you plan to arrive here. Of course that might mean more trips this way, and storage fees etc.

As to boat recommendations, have you looked at cascades at all? They are though boats, and I happen to know of one for sale on the west coast. (No financial connection, just used to have my boat in the same marina.) It's almost cruising ready, well equipped for short handed sailing. Would need solar panels and self steering though. The current owners sailed in extensively in the pacific north west, from Oregon to Alaska and lived on board for many years. I've never sailed on a Cascade myself, but they are a lesser known brand I've heard lots of good things about for longer voyages.

1977 Cascade 36 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook