SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?

Ok I agree Mexico may offer some boats though fewer numbers. Likewise Panama for those who toss it in. Try this one Mazatlan Marine Center SA De CV (Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico)
The Baba 30 seems a good boat with the cutaway keel although not quite what you are looking for. It might be a bit slower but not as squirrelly downwind as more modern designs which suits long downwind singlehanded passages.
I don't understand your route if Hawaii is Hi.
The Northern hurricane season is May - October with September the worst.
If you leave in May that would be very late. You also have headwinds after the equator heading to Oceania and need to reach Australia or NZ by November.
Normally you would pick one hemisphere or another and run through the South Pacific then up to Japan by June That would be 12 months. My point is if you do Australia NZ and the islands you then sit out up to ten months broadly, to cross back into the NH by Nov/December. A NZ summer is not bad but it depends if you want to spend 22 months or so on the trip.
There are variations but you might want to look at World Cruising Routes by Cornell for detail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook