SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

I wonder if that half million dollar boat had belonged to them, would they have still have attempted an outside trip in the face of the weather warnings? I am sure that there are lots of skilled, real professionals out there who deliver boats promptly, efficiently, and without damage. We never hear about them because there's nothing out of the ordinary...just a job completed without incident. But, in the two sailing magazines that I take, and, to a degree, on some of these forums, it seems that a high percentage of articles are "listen to me, here's what went wrong on my bluewater delivery...boats aren't up to standard, or weren't maintained properly". Never the delivery person's fault. Generally, the boats being delivered are really nice, expensive boats. Look down at the end of the article and usually article will have a little blurb about the delivery person/author and his boat. Most of the time, his personal boat is some old shoe not worth very much. I think some of these guys may intentionally stress the boats they are delivering....after all, if it breaks, they don't have to pay for it. Several years ago, one wrote an article about a 1600 mile offshore delivery of a friend's ten year old Catalina 320. That's the boat I have....I don't pretend that it is bluewater...I bought it for inshore boating, but I read the article to see what he would say. He trashed the C320 because a 10 year old boat had some port leaks...he didn't check before going out, engine was noisy, he had trouble heaving to and wound up on a forereach in the right direction, and lots of things like autopilots that he installed for the trip failed. Just as he suspected, it wasn't a good boat for offshore, and his piece of junk was. But the really telling thing was, the owner aranged insurance for the trip for up to 200 miles off shore....the delivery man/author promptly decided to go further out than that, just because he wanted to....not avoiding a storm. I think a lot of these guys would do differently if it was their boat.

Last edited by NCC320; 03-29-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook