SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wind indicator NOT for mast top
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Wind indicator NOT for mast top

I sail up in N.H. on lake Winnepasaki with my Dad sometimes. Wacthing the water is exactly how I tell what the wind is doing, going to do, and is doing up ahead. Talk about squirly. I'll be the first to say that I am not a "Performance sailor.' I'm a cruiser at heart and a Delivery Capt. for dough. I set the sail to the coarse I need. I pull the sail in till it stops flapp'n and I start moving. Then I mess with it's shape till I'm satisfied that I'm gett'n everything I can out of her. If my dest. is up it, I point as high as I can into the true wind, and bend the sails to the apparent, I guess that's what I'm doing anyway's. I do what I need to get her to run. Some boats run faster zig zag'n down the wind, some, like mine, love to sled straight down it. The fins that I deliver prefer a zig. Either way you slice it, the motion of the boat, wind in my face, and the shape of the sails tell me everything I need to know. Ya, in a wind shift, the seas can get confused and boiling, especially in the Gulf Stream. Still one can look in to the wind to determain it's direction, true or apparent.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 03-29-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook