SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vectran sleeve for anchor rode?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Vectran sleeve for anchor rode?

Hi, I just had a thought, being relatively satisfied with rope in my neighbourhood, only being nervous about having the rope cut by something.

Now, I figure I could use chain for the first bit, but I'd rather not.

I can say beforehand, that the boat I'm getting this for, is 43 feet, really slim (225cm/7'4") and weighs in at just over four tonnes. It's low, so not much windage.

I will handle my anchor with a winch, but no anchor roller, so the anchor itself will be lifted out of the water by hand, hence me thinking I might be able to get around the use of chain. The anchor itself will weigh around 15kg/33lbs. (and a slightly bigger for stronger winds).

What about a leaded anchor rode (as in "rope"), but having the lower half covered in Vectran, so as to protect against cuts? I mean, obviously, Dyneema won't work as it's not springy at all and is surprisingly easily cut, but Vectran or Kevlar (as used in stab proof vests) seems to be a completely different thing.

I'm not worried about the price of the sleeve (obviously), but I don't want to waste time ordering and installing the stuff (plus the splicing needed afterwards) only to find it was a waste of time and effort

P.S. I just know that someone will come along and rhetorically ask "Why don't you give it a try, and then report back to us", lol.