SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Bank – Parallel or Series
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Battery Bank – Parallel or Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Main,

I'm cool with amps, watts, volts, resistance, amp/hours and a few other high school physics/basic electronics terminology. What is cca?

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
The Midtronics analyzers display performance as CCA, MCA etc.. They are cold cranking amps (0F), MCA (32F). My other analyzer does the same but it can also show the batteries internal resistance.

It is a very complex algorithm and test procedure all done based on internal resistance. It can be fairly closely translated to useful life left in the battery. A battery that tests at 80% or less of "new" CCA rating is technically "dead" by industry standards.

Because many batteries ship at higher than their rating, a baseline needs to be done so all future tests are accurate based on "new". Some batteries ship at exactly their rating and others are as much as 100-300 CCA more than the rating.

Because many deep cycle batteries don't display a CCA or MCA rating I have tested many of them when new and keep a file.

Also when I buy batteries I buy them as closely matched as I can..

I also use them to track before and after performance of an equalization or two...

I even used them to do long term testing on "battery desulphators"... Should probably be called de-snake oil"......

"What do you mean my battery is dead? It's only a year old."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook