SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vectran sleeve for anchor rode?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Re: Vectran sleeve for anchor rode?

Thanks, but I'm not talking Dyneema for the sleeve, I'm talking Vectran, which has a much higher cut resistence and a somewhat higher abrasion resistance. And it only needs to be "loose" around it, not super tight, and being pushed "down" towards the anchor, it will be at the slimmest (but still big enough) when the line is completely taught (as in no stretch left whatsoever).

I will look into the Dacron sleeves. I don't think I'm ready for a through-and-through Dyneema rope. Hell, just making something grip it at the snubber end will be problematic.

As for plastic making poor abrasion sleeves, I can only say that leather or, indeed, kevlar makes for great abrasion sleeves in general. You need to look no further than motorcycle clothing to see the evidence for that.

I will definately look into every sleeve I can think of, but I think Pdq had it right when he suggested I should look to the multihull crowd for experiences in this regard. I mean, if those guys can make something work, with all that windage, surely a very small 43' (yes, it truly is a fin keeled dinghy, lol) would be able to make use of their experiences.