SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vectran sleeve for anchor rode?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Vectran sleeve for anchor rode?

It's all about the ability to dissipate heat that makes certain chafe gear perform better than others. There was a Practical $ailor article I recently read that evaluated chafe guards including several home built methods. I don't think Kevlar may be a good choice, while it has certain benefits in motorcycle clothing it isn't designed to go sliding down the road for hours after hours, day after day. I use Kevlar slings in my industry and they are very susceptible to failure if pinched or exposed to a hard edge.

I think I would at least have some chain to help keep my anchor set.
Another point about chafe gear is that it can hide degraded conditions that may result in premature failure of your ground tackle.

I sure would like to hear your opinion of raisng an anchor by hand without a bow roller after you have done it, anyway it's your boat and your back.

PS I understand you are thinking outside the box but I am trying real hard to be civil in this forum, after all it's not advrider. You come across as a person thats a little rude and already knows it all. If you already have the answers why are you asking questions in this forum?

Fair winds and following seas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'