SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I think the whole set of frictional loss, and dodger issues are a reflection of sailing styles and venues. Both can be real issues for the way that some folk sail but not for others.

As someone like myself who loves performance sailing, comes out of racing, single-hands in coastal waters, carries more sail than I should,and is constantly tweaking, I could not live without my lines run aft. I purposely use low friction roller blocks and small diameter low stretch high modulus line to minimize the impact of the lines run aft. Like Take Five points out, I 'jump' my halyards at the mast when there is someone to tail for me, and at those times, I 'sweat' up the last little bit (pull the halyard away from the mast to get more mechanical advantage) which you can't do so easy from the cockpit.

Jeff
Jeff,

Do you use cam cleats on the mast to hold your halyards, after jumping them, until you can get back to the winch in the cockpit? My boat is set up that way and it works well.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 03-30-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook