SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

Finished up last evening. Started inside Barnegat Inlet at 0700 with a few fishing boats. As we were exiting the inlet, my wife heard a strange noise from the engine. A minute later when the overheat alarm went off, it became apparent that the water pump/alternator belt had broken. We opened up the jib about 1/2 way and I got out the tools. About 20 minutes later, all was fixed. ( Thank you Baden Powell.)

Wind was reading about 15 from the north west for the northbound part of the trip and the seas were calm. It was a bit warmer as well. We had the sails up for the northbound portion of the trip.

Our First sight of the freedom tower was at 1200 from Shark River. Turned the hook at 1500 against an estimated 2 kts current and headwind. Dropped the sails and motored in as we readied for landing. Arrived at our mooring at 1700. This leg was about 58nm.

My craigslist dinghy did not perform well. The seam which I glued on the bow came undone and there were a couple inches of water in the stern. (It was ok when it was just me and the bow was out of the water, once loaded, it was another story. ) The craigslist outboard did just fine once coaxed with a little starting fluid. Together they did their job, but I got what I paid for, no complaints. (For my daughter, this was the final icing on the cake - she did not want to go on this trip. Her main objection was the lack of decent showers.)

Arriving on the beach was very emotional as I got to see the Sandy devastation from another viewpoint.

It's a bit strange being the only ship in a 300 ball mooring field, but, I guess it is the first sign of normalcy after the storm.

/ed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook