SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello All - Duluth and Corpus
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello All - Duluth and Corpus

Hi Gregg, I just noticed this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-26-Duluth View Post
I really like the idea of going all the way across the north shore from Thunder Bay. I hear it's awfully cold even at the end of May - true ?
Yes, it's pretty cool still, although it depends on your general tolerance for cold. Plan to bring good layers (fleece or wool) along with quality foulies and lighter windbreak shell. It's unlikely that you'll need shorts or t-shirts ... unless you're a lot tougher than me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-26-Duluth View Post
The one thing I don't understand is the Canadian Conservation Areas - can you anchor in them / near them ? Are there plenty of anchorages between Thunder Bay and the eastern shores ? (I'll be soloing, so frequent stops will be important.)
You're referring to the new Lake Superior Marine Conservation area, that covers a large part of the north shore. No problem anchoring anywhere. No permits or special permissions needed. In fact, there's no impact at all on boating ... at least not so far.

Anchorages are plentiful heading east once you get out of Thunder Bay (which you will have to come into to clear customs). With a shallow draft you'll have no problem finding lots of places, well spaced out. Dahl's book does an excellent job of noting them.

The west shore is more problematic. Once you get past Pigeon River the shore (what some Americans call the "north shore") looks pretty bleak down to Duluth. I've never sailed this section b/c of this ... we hopped from the Apostles to Grand Marais, MN to avoid it.