SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

I will say again that i agree with much of what Dave and Jon are saying. This is a rare occasion by the way(snicker). I will say once again that on the tayana (trad slab reef) it is best for halyard and reefs to be at the mast. The difference between a 30' racer or coastal boat and the tayana are significant. Superman couldn't get that sail up by hand at the mast. You are going to go up there anyways and the friction on these boats is significant. Now, compare that to many of the boats i have raced on or smaller boats and it is totally different.

I will disagree with them though on my boat or any inmast- there is no reason at all to have them at the stick. That is the benefit of inmast. I hAve had my dodger blown out, but prepare for it. When seas hit that point the companionway closed. Water runs off. You do need to plan ahead with where to put salty foul weather gear. Crew always walks to same place and keep that open. A shower is a great substitute for a wet locker. That is what we use.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook