SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013

allio is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
After the loss of Bounty, some incidents out in California, and now this, all in such a short span of time, there are some experienced skippers out there, saying that we are nearing a tipping point where the government and USCG may start imposing more regulation on offshore operations, or even inshore recreational sailing.

We do NOT want this. There is an unwritten rule in the sport rock-climbing world that seems very appropriate to sailing as well:

This person also made the salient point:

We'd better clean up our act, or we're going to find our sport under attack, and our freedoms infringed upon.

Yes, we all make mistakes but the "Dial 911 for minor troubles" attitude is going to ruin it for all of us.

Spread the word.
This story seems a bit slow news day by the papers, or maybe not. The fact that the newsies here seemed to take the guys at their word re experience hints at a bit of fridge magnet journalism.

I'm pretty certain these guys would be a lot less in the focus if they had avoided press on the issue.

I presume delivery captains are licensed? Would an incident such as this invalidate their license, or have it revoked? Who's insurance covers the loss here? Would the delivery captain be required to have liability insurance as he is an independent contractor? Does he then take the hit? or is it all on the owner? I don't know if i'd hand over my boat to a contractor on my own insurance policy. Maybe if there was some fault with the boat then liability could be shared but that doesn't seem to be the case here, and the consensus here seems to be that they were wrong to take the route they did in those conditions.

If this is on his head financially, do the commercial sailors share insurance companies with the recreational? doesn't seem fair that the recreational boater should cover the expense of a commercial loss via his insurance policy. would have thought that the two would be ring fenced from each other. Seems a bit like a public tax bank bailout kinda situation to me....

anyway. just some random thoughts....
allio
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook