SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

hmm...Something to ponder.

I can remember a time when the coast guard would provide towing assistance and misc help to stranded vessels. As it became clear that the numbers of incidents were rising and CG stations were closing, they ceased and now we have Tow Boat US and Sea Tow etc.

While those private companies fill that void nicely, at reasonable costs; I don't see the private sector doing what the coasties just did for these guys via helicopter rescue at great risk to themselves. Your point regarding regarding insurance creating a false sense of security and possibly encouraging more incidents is a good one. I think with epirb, sat phones and successful rescues, like this one, we've already created a false sense of security.

With rescue insurance, suddenly we'll have people trying to sue the coast guard for not rescuing them in a timely fashion. " I had insurance".

With regard to folks buying " rescue insurance" ; one of the problems Hurricane Sandy has revealed here in NJ, at least, and undoubtedly elsewhere is that many of the lost boats were not even registered or insured. Which has led people to simply abandon them on the side of the road, in the middle of a wetland etc. some of them rather large vessels.
The reaction to that may eventually be mandatory insurance like we have with cars.
The marinas were supposed to check ( as per their insurance rules) but many of them were apparently not diligent in that.

All that to say...I don't have any solutions..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook