SailNet Community - View Single Post - 30 vs 33
Thread: 30 vs 33
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: 30 vs 33

I mentioned it on another thread too, but check out a Yankee 30. It's a very stiff 30 footer, they fit a dodger, and around here (at least on the south side of the border) they are about as common as a C&C 30. They are faster too.

Neither worked for me in the end since they are missing a quarterberth. Another downside is that most either have an Atomic 4 (also common in C&C 30s) or an obscure diesel.

Islander 30 should be about as stiff as the C&C and is also really common and does have the quarterberth.

I found that my wife hates unexpected boat movement (so it's motion in heavy water) more than a lot of heel. The Pearson heels quickly before stiffening up and that usually works pretty well for us. The extra weight still makes my Pearson get blown around a lot more (especially with following seas) than my friends Yankee 30.

The Yankee 30 is a really heavy boat, but it has a lot of sail area to match it. That's why it can be fast and very stiff. Most of the weight is in the keel, it's B/D is a lot higher than the C&C 30, which is already higher than many similar boats.

The Tartan 30 is also a lot like the Yankee 30 (both are S&S designs), though with a bit more beam and B/D that is like the C&C 30.